Gait training commonly involves walking on a treadmill and completing muscle strengthening activities. You may wear a harness while walking on the treadmill or doing other exercises. Your therapist may also ask you to practice stepping over objects, lifting your legs, sitting down, standing up, or other activities.
- Over-ground training: Walking over ground required for any medical condition where it required regaining walking independently and safely.
- Includes –walking with obstacles
- Up slope and down slope
- Stairs going up and down
- Walking on foam surface to increase perturbation
- Walking with stick, Elbow crutch or elbow frame, wheeled walker or normal walker
- Walking with Artificial limb – post – amputation.
- Brace-assisted walking – Brace assisted walk where it required people who find difficult to carry their body weight on to affected part of lower limb and required brace or calliper to walk.